Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Birth of a movement??

Do you think these guys that Jesus ascended into Heaven in front of, knew that they were the start of a movement that would ultimately change the course of human history? I'm not so sure. They were still very self-seeking in their questions of Jesus, after all they were expecting to see The Kingdom come with power(Mark9:1) So in verse 6, when they ask Jesus if he is going to re-establish the kingdom, I am not sure if they were being selfish, or still didn't quite comprehend what Jesus was about to assign them to.

But right away, like a patient grandfather, Jesus tells them that it is not for them to know (verse 7). Then, in what I believe not to be coincidence, He tells those who were expecting to see POWER, that they will get the POWER.....

However, a few moments later, staring aimlessly into the sky, I still don't think they realized what was going to happen to them in about 10 days (Pentecost). I think I am guilty of the same thing sometimes. I have been given power by the Holy Spirit. Do I live like it? Or am I staring into the sky....wondering...hoping He will ask someone else? I hope I continue to recognize opportunities to be a witness...sure am glad God is patient!!

1 comment:

  1. Both of your writings so far have spoken to me. I think sometimes as people get older, they believe the work and witnessing should be done by the younger folk, that they (we) have done our work. But I know for me, God wants to keep working in my life to reach others for Him, and more importantly to get to know Him better than I did the day before. "Be still and know that I am God" He has told us (me). May we learn how to help one another in our walks with Him.

    ReplyDelete