Thursday, January 20, 2011

When do dreams die?

Acts 2:17 mentions that "in the last days", "young men will see visions and old men dream dreams."  I started to wonder....when do dreams die?  I have talked to a number of students over my 12 year teaching career.  Many of them started out with dreams of being a doctor or lawyer, but somehow have ended up possibly looking at barely finishing high school, and if they do, not really having much direction afterward.  How does this happen?

 Obviously there are circumstances, beyond their control, that may contribute to the dream slowly fading into nonexistence...but I wonder, is there an exact moment when the dream gets put to death?  It breaths its last, the guillotine drops, and it fades away to where?  Can it be brought to life again?  This intrigues me because I feel like this is where my calling is right now, for this particular season of life....I am a dream-keeper.  I endeavor to foster, develop, and resuscitate the dreams of young men and women.  Helping them to key in on their mind's eye, and look forward at what could possibly be out there for them.

Helping to do this involves the skills of unearthing a ‘picture of the future’ that fosters genuine commitment and engagement, rather than compliance.  Peter Senge wrote the book the The Fifth Discipline, and in it he talks about personal mastery and the idea of sharing vision with others in the order of systems thinking: 

"People with a high level of personal mastery live in a continual learning mode. 
They never ‘arrive’. Sometimes, language, such as the term ‘personal mastery’ creates a misleading sense of definiteness, of black and white. 
But personal mastery is not something you possess.
It is a process.
It is a lifelong discipline.
People with a high level of personal mastery are acutely aware of their ignorance, their incompetence, their growth areas"
 
Sounds a little bit like Holiness doctrine??  So doing this ministry is sometimes difficult....because it is hard to measure success (by the world's standards).  One thing I do know, however, everyday could be the 'last days', so I don't want to be found guilty of killing any dreams.

1 comment:

  1. Great question. Dreams...we all have them and few reach them. I love the line in the Casting Crowns song that says:

    "With eyes wide open to the differences
    The God we want and the God who is.
    Will we trade our dreams for His
    or are we caught in the middle?"

    How true is that? Our dreams and Gods dreams can often be two totally different things. That's where the "God we want and the God who IS" comes in. I know when my dream and Gods align, that is when I am in my sweet spot. It's when the bent or gift He's given me find that conduit or avenue with which they come alive and advance His Kingdom.

    It's like a ball hitting the bat at the perfect spot. It's like a ball going through the rim and not touching iron. Thats when the dreams of the man and God are connected. All too often though my dreams and my will are what align and that's when it gets messy. It's like swinging and missing and throwing up an air ball. I try, try, try and fight, fight, fight when the dream just isn't there. It's mine and not His.

    Wow that was a lot of babble. Hopefully it made some sense.

    ReplyDelete